Checkpoints will be set up in Metro Manila and other areas under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ), namely Cavite, Rizal, Bulacan, and Laguna. The Philippine National Police (PNP) announced that they will set checkpoints
in borders between towns and cities in MECQ areas
According to Joint Task Force Lt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, the checkpoints will be placed in boundaries to prevent residents from buying goods and services in other affected areas. Eleazar also added that authorized persons outside of residence (APOR) will be allowed to cross borders in MECQ areas
The following persons are classified as APORs:
• Frontliners (medical, security, emergency responders, and funeral services)
• Essential workers (banks, money transfer services, markets, supermarkets, groceries, convenience stores, sari-sari stores, pharmacies, restaurants, and other stores for basic goods)
• Utilities employees (water companies, energy companies, telecommunications, and sanitation)
• Government employees and officials
• Media personalities
• Agricultural workers
• Business Processing Output (BPO) workers
• Export-oriented business personnel
• Delivery personnel of cargoes and logistics employees
Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año also added that police checkpoints will be set up in places leading to general community quarantine and modified general community quarantine areas . The specific areas for the said checkpoints are yet to be announced by the PNP.
Moreover, Año also said in an interview that Metro Manila mayors will update rules regarding the quarantine pass system in their respective jurisdictions. Previously under this quarantine status, only minimal movement of residents was allowed; people were only permitted to go out only for essential activities such as emergency cases and purchasing important goods. Public transportation was also suspended.
Metro Manila, Cavite, Rizal, Laguna, and Bulacan will be under MECQ from August 4 to 18. The complete guidelines and protocols for the affected areas are yet to be announced.
Go to Yoorekka
for more useful local information during this pandemic.