The unspoiled beauty of Kinatarcan Island has made it one of the go-to destinations for both residents and visitors of Cebu.
Image: Kinatarcan Island Facebook Page
How to get to Kinatarcan Island: From the Cebu North Bus Terminal, ride a bus headed for Daanbantayan. Tell the driver to let you off at the Daanbantayan Public Market. From the public market, walk to the Mahayahay port and ride a boat heading to Kinatarcan Island.
• The boat schedule going for this tourist spot in Cebu does not have a fixed time since it does not receive a regular stream of visitors. Passenger boats normally leave Daanbantayan when they have around 30 passengers on board.
• Boats headed for Mahayahay port from Kinatarcan Island leave at 7:00 AM. Another option is traveling to Bantayan Island through a boat leaving Yoonek Beach at around 11:00 AM. But the schedule is not fixed as well so there may be times when the boat will leave at 1:00 PM. From Bantayan Island, you can ride a ferry to mainland Cebu.
• While there are stores on this tourist spot in Cebu, it is advisable to bring your own supplies. You should also bring your own utensils, especially if you are planning to pitch a tent on the beach.
• Mobile signals can be erratic in most parts of this tourist spot in Cebu. The best place to get a decent signal is Pasil Beach, where boats from the mainland normally dock.
• Always remember to “Leave No Trace” when you visit the Kinatarcan Island.
Kinatarcan Island was once called the “forgotten island” due to the lack of development in the area. But this lack of commercialization has become one of its best assets as this tourist spot in Cebu can now boast of a mesmerizing beauty that only nature can provide.
Stay safe as you travel! Make sure to follow social distancing protocols and observe health precautions wherever you go. Have a great trip!
This article was originally published in Yoorekka on August 30, 2019.